Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Maternity Fashions for a Cheapskate

Ladies of the world, it's tough enough to create human life from nothing, but to do it while dressing stylishly on a budget was one of the biggest challenges of my bargainista life.

Problem 1: Maternity clothing is even worse than non-preggo clothing when it comes to variety for different body shapes. I'm starting to think that designers think that by slapping an elastic waist/belly panel on a pair of pants that makes it a universal fit for every pregnant lady out there. Not the case, I'm afraid. Finding pants was difficult enough when I was not with child due to my rather large and curvy boo-tay. That aforementioned boo-tay did not get any less curvy with the bun is in the oven. Unfortunately many of the baby-oven pants I tried were not proportioned for my ample behind.  Also can someone please explain to me why 90% of non-solid tops are horizontal stripes of varying widths?  Talk about putting an equator around you when perhaps you'd rather not!

The only way around this one is to look everywhere and frequently.  I found one excellent second hand store in my area that carries maternity clothing and I found many excellent items there to fit my office wardrobe and my cozy wardrobe alike.  The Target clearance rack was also a decent source for my maternity needs.  I was able to find some good items for my office wardrobe that also carried over to my nursing wardrobe.  (The nursing wardrobe is another story altogether!)

Problem 2: Short ladies have babies, too! And not all of us want to wear tops that come down to our knees and pants that pool around the feet.  Yet another problem with maternity clothing is proportions. A petite lady doesn't just have short legs, our proportions are shorter from shoulder to bust (we'll get to the bra situation later!), bust to waist, waist to hips, hips to feet. It was challenging to find tops that showcased the bump, were long enough to cover the stretch panel on my preggo pants, but not so long that my leg line is completely lost under the top.

The solution to this was simply trying on nearly everything before purchase, and that meant a lot of time in a dressing room.  I recommend setting aside a few hours of time, a couple of times during pregnancy so you can cope with belly size as it increases.  Once each trimester is probably a good number of times to shop for maternity wear.  Beware of online buying for tops and bottoms.  Every brand is a little different in cut and size, particularly pants.

Problem 3: Bras. This is a gripe I have in my non-preggo life as well. There just aren't enough supportive AND cute bras for us ladies that are bigger than a c-cup. During this baby oven adventure I've grown beyond the capacity of the bra I've been loyal to for the past years - Body by Victoria. Finding a new breast-friend was difficult. I did manage to find something supportive with a fairly good fit after a massive search at a few large department stores. Much to my bargainista dismay the bras that worked for me were $65 EACH!  But I have learned that sometimes paying full price is worth it for a good quality undergarment.

The solution here?  Suck it up and get what your girls need.  I have to admit that the more expensive bras are worth it for me.  I'm an F-cup so my choices are far more restricted that ladies that fall into the marketed "normal" sizes for busts.  In the nursing bra department I've found that Anita style 5068 is my favorite and will be sticking with this until this season of mothering is done.  The band has a nice triple hook, the shoulder straps cinch up to petite proportions, it's very comfortable and easy to maneuver for feeding baby.

Last advice...never be afraid to ask for a handout!  I had a few wonderful girlfriends pass on their wonderful maternity items to me.  Nothing like some free clothing!  I managed to make it through this pregnancy only investing about $300 in maternity clothing to wear to the office and for comfort wear.  It's possible to be fabulous and frugal.  



No comments: